RE: [OM] Zuikoholics in the Darkroom

Subject: RE: [OM] Zuikoholics in the Darkroom
From: "Chung, Stephen (D&B Telecom)" <ChungS@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 03:00:10 -0400
John P wrote:-
>>Oh, so now Zuikoholism can be replaced by becoming a darkoholic??? <g>.

We'll, yes I can see a number parallels between buying Oly and buying
darkroom equipment ie there is a decent used market out there in both
cases and IMHO people who like to have self control over their
photography are drawn towards systems like OM and darkroom.

>>Just for grins I added up how much I have tied up in the "after the click"
>>processing equipment.  A dedicated room, enlarger, lenses, processing trays
>>and drums, temperature controls, timer, analyzer, chemicals and paper,
>>graduates, beakers, therometers........the list goes on.  And you thought OM
>>bodies added up.......

John P. I'd like to ask your opinion of various darkroom gear (off list)
if that is ok.

Couple of observations from last nite's darkroom class, it was a near
full enrollment 9 people, mid 20's average age, girls outnumbering the
guys 5 to 4, plus the instructor is a girl also, and we'll all be
squashed together in a tiny darkroom in total darkness next week doing
our first film load onto developing reel amongst other things...and I'm
not complaining.

Yet another advantage of the older Olympus cameras over your typical
modern day auto film advance SLR - you can deliberately leave the film
leader out when rewinding your Oly whereas many modern SLR's rewind it
entirely back into the cannister.  So loading film onto developing reel
is a lot easier for the Olympus owner.