Re: [OM] - OM2N below zero

Subject: Re: [OM] - OM2N below zero
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 08:11:25 -0600
At 10:50 AM 4/29/98 +0300, Teemu Oinonen <Teemu.Oinonen@xxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

>I was shooting swans recently with my OM2N. The temperature was -7
>degrees centigrade. The needle indicated 1/60 s but I became suspicious
>because it felt more like 1/30 to 1 s. Soon the shutter stayed open for
>several seconds (and I missed the best early morning light). I put the
>camera under my jacket and after 10 minutes or so it was functioning
>properly again.
>
>Now, during winter -7 is not extreme here: any suggestions on how to
>prevent this from happening again?

Teemu:

Where I hail from, wintertime temperatures of -40º Celsius (which is also -40º
Fahrenheit -- the one place where the two temperature scales "meet") aren't
that uncommon.  I remember shattering rolls of film while trying to wind them
in an OM-1n I owned years ago during winter shoots, and you could also get some
really nice "fake lightning" effects from the static electricity that built up
and then discharged across your film surface in the extremely dry air.  Your
solution (put the camera inside your jacket, and only take it out when you're
going for the shot) is the best one I ever found.  I had an old oversized parka
I used to use for precisely this purpose.

Winter photography: it's not for wimps.

Garth Wood