Re: [OM] TTL versus OTF

Subject: Re: [OM] TTL versus OTF
From: Clive Warren <Clive.Warren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 14:14:45 +0100
At 1:41 pm +0200 28/4/98, Per Nordenberg wrote:
>     Please excuse me for a most probably very dumb  question, but could
>anyone please elaborate on  the difference between the achronyms TTL and
>OTF? I think I know what they stand  for, TTL meaning Through The Lens and
>OTF is Off The Film. Is that correct? Are  they essentially the same
>thing? I always thought TTL was a description of light  measuring during
>flash operation, i.e. light is measured through the lens  instead of using
>a separate sensor in the flash itself. OTF on the other hand  should be
>light measuring during auto exposure, i.e. light is measured off the  film
>surface during the exposure. Is it always OTF as well when a camera is
>said  to have TTL operation? Please bear with me...  Per Nordenberg

Per,

TTL metering as you say is  Through The Lens and is the alternative to a
hand held or camera mounted meter which measures light in the general
direction that the camera is pointed.

So TTL is used for all metering, not just flash.

OTF metering in the OM system is combined with TTL.  TTL is what gives you
a reading in the viewfinder - when you open the shutter most cameras would
go with the last reading taken just before the mirror flips, the OM however
continues to meter from a light cell/s which measures reflected light from
the film plane itself - Off The Film.....

So with OTF you get the "correct" exposure even if the light levels change
whilst the shutter is open (with the camera on "auto" of course).

Good eh?

All the best,

              Clive   http://clive.bel-epa.com