Re: [OM] - OM4 blues, advice needed. / Battery drain / T32

Subject: Re: [OM] - OM4 blues, advice needed. / Battery drain / T32
From: Kennedy <rkm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 19:21:07 +0100
In article , Mike Bloor <mikbloor@xxxxxx> writes
>My OM4, bought soon after they were introduced, was repaired by Olympus
>London some time later.  They told me that it had been fitted with a new
>design of circuit board which reduced battery drain.

I got this speil from them too - still have the invoice for the repair.

>Prior to that it was awful.  Since then it's OK, but still uses batteries
>about 3 times as fast as an OM2n.

Mine made no difference at all, and its still 10 times worse than the
OM4Ti.

>The only real soloution is to turn the shutter speed to the manual 60th of a
>second setting when the camera is not being used.

Doesn't help - the current drain is just the same!  The only solution is
to take the batteries out of circuit.

>I use a T32 flash and Olympus also told me that this draws current from the
>OM4 when attached to the hot shoe, but not if attached by a TTL auto cable.

Those guy in Honduras St. need a kick up the backside!  The hot shoe
contacts and the TTL pins are connected directly on the camera - no
diodes, resistors, switches etc. - just wire!  So if it drains current
through the hotshoe it drains it through the autocable as well.

Sounds like this happened around the same time as I had a run in with
them as well - just after the OM-4Ti came along.  I bet it was the same
engineer that gouched a chunk out of the top plate of my OM-4 when it
was serviced around that time.  They then proceeded to tell me it must
have been there before they took the camera in - fortunately the
paperwork said it was in mint condition as received.  Since then I have
never taken anything back to the London Olympus Service Centre!  I
expect thay have changed somewhat since then, whether they have improved
is not something I care to test!
--
Kennedy
Python Philosophers         (replace 'nospam' with 'kennedym' when replying)