Re: [OM] Fungus

Subject: Re: [OM] Fungus
From: Clive Warren <Clive.Warren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 10:22:34 +0100
>I have recently bought a Zuiko 21mm/f2 from warmer climes than here in the
>UK and there are a few threads of what I suppose are fungus spreading for
>2/3mm from the edges of the lens behind the front element.
>
>Will the fungus spread? I have heard that it can be "treated" with UV light
>but does this remove the fungus or just prevent its spread? We don't get a
>lot of fungus in the Lake District, not on lenses anyway.
>
>Many thanks for any help!
>
>David

Kill that fungus before it eats the lens coating.  Best plan is a strip
down and clean job from a good repair shop.  Have just had a Bronica Nikkor
200mm lens given the same treatment.  It looked quite bad in places - now
it is clear and unmarked, coatings intact - as it was caught in time......

The UV light blast just kills the fungus - the remnants will remain on the
lens surfaces.

It is actually quite easy to remove as long as you catch it early enough.
I have cleaned a couple of lenses myself in the past.  With very old lenses
you have to be careful that the lens coating isn't removed along with the
fungus as some coatings were quite soft.  Probably looks like a sherry
trifle to a fungus, Mmmmm that's nice chomp chomp.  When the coating has
been eaten the funguloids get pretty hungry and try eating the gass - which
is when it becomes etched.  Mmmm this is a bit hard, maybe there's some
more sherry trifle under this hard crust, chomp chomp.

Best plan is not to invite them into your home, they can be much harder to
get rid of......

PS Send the vendor the bill if you were not told about the fungus.....

All the best,

              Clive   http://clive.bel-epa.com