Re: [OM] The 100mm f2.8 that has been used to mix concrete!!!

Subject: Re: [OM] The 100mm f2.8 that has been used to mix concrete!!!
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 14:13:29 +0200
Stuart Goggin wrote:

> Subject: The 100mm f2.8 that has been used to mix concrete!!!
> Date: 30 Apr 98 11:10:42
> From: "Stuart Goggin" <SGOGGIN.AU.ORACLE.COM>
> To: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> CC: sgoggin.au
>
> Hello All,
>
> I recently obtained a rather shabby looking 100 f2.8 free with another
> camera deal.   This lense looks absolutely stuffed,  ie there are many many
> chips in the barrel,  the front element is scratched,  the rear element is
> also scratched.   The diaphram also refused to close down.    So basically
> nothing to lose,   so I pulled the back of the lense and found the aperature
> stop down arm had somehow bent so that occasionally it would jump out of its
> slot.  I also found the DOF preview ring would bind and cause the lense to
> remain stopped down.   So I bent the arm back and graphited the aperature
> ring...   Now it moves fine, still looks like crap but at least the
> aperature works.
>
> So I tested it the other day expecting it to be unable to resolve anything
> because of the scrathes.   To my surprise it is extremely sharp,  in fact it
> is better than th 75-150 f4 zuiko I have.   Unbeleivable.......   It is a
> bit flary I think because it is single coated and has no hood.    But I just
> got a rubber hood for it and this might help....
>
> SO even a stuffed zuiko is pretty damned good.
>
> Stuart

Hello Stuart,

It seems like the right time to bring out one of the old tricks:
Black paint to cover the bad scratches. While it costs a litte light
it also reduces the flare caused by the scratches. Apply it with care,
using a toothpick or similar fine tool.

Now you just need a badly battered, but working OM body to complete
the image :-)

Regards
Lars

--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> aka <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"