Re: [OM] Re: 2-x screens again

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: 2-x screens again
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 16:08:31 -0600
At 01:35 PM 5/1/98 -0700, John Austin wrote:

[snip]

>It was interesting to see the Olympus Japan site. I did
>notice one interesting point. I looked at the complete camera line-up
>available, and the only SLR were the OM-2000 and the OM-3Ti. The OM-4Ti was
>conspicious by it's absence. It looks like the OM-4Ti may no longer be in
>production and the only ones left will be what's in the warehouse.

John, I seriously doubt this.  I just received from Olympus America a variety
of full-colour glossy marketroid-type stuff on various products, including
brand-spanking-new versions of brochures for the OM-4Ti.  You don't go to the
(considerable!) expense of doing this if you've got an orphaned product.  (The
brochures are quite nice, BTW, and appear to be going after the "snob appeal"
factor of an expensive camera for serious amateurs and professionals.)

[snip]

>On a different note, twice a week for the past three weeks I have sent
>e-mail to Olympus Japan PR department, BEGGING them to either confirm or
>deny the rumor of a new OM to be released at Photokina. So far no response.

And you probably won't get one, either.  Marketers hate being "one-upped" by
their PR departments (I should know, I used to work in a marketing function...
"but I'm all better now..."  8^> ).

I'd love to see an OM-5, but what the heck would they put in it?  They screwed
up autofocus big-time in the 80s, and they've already got fully-controllable
bells-'n-whistles on their flagship OM-3Ti and OM-4Ti, and unless they're
planning on doing the Contax trick with the "camera body inside a camera body"
for autofocus that uses existing Zuikos, I'm at a loss as to what else needs to
be done -- unless they've decided to produce a composite body to lower the
price.  In my opinion, that wouldn't be so bad, but that's almost the niche the
OM-2000's shooting for.  What would I like to see?  More lenses!

Or re-introduction of the old models...

Garth Wood