Re: [OM] What Zuiko wide angle should I buy?

Subject: Re: [OM] What Zuiko wide angle should I buy?
From: "John Petrush" <jpetrush@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 16:52:12 -0400
Andre Goforth <goforth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Ian,
>
>You should see the heads in the 3rd and 4th rows! And then those standing
>up a set of stairs were tiny. It is like going from a soccer ball to a
>tennis ball!  I don't know if they teach this stuff in photography school
>but I haven't seen any rules of thumb in regard to shooting groups in
>how-to-photo books. Maybe in how to do wedding photo books? Anybody got a
>reference that would be helpful? I'm suppose to shoot another such group
>shot in a month and this time I will try to use a 35mm, if I can get
>everybody in it!

Actually, this *is* taught in photo school, at least it was taught to me.
The key difference is we learned to use a ladder, mount the camera as high
as you could (or dared!) and then tilt the front standard down.  Looks like
a job for the 24mm shift to me :-).

A tad more seriously, even with a fixed (non-PC) lens, it is to your
advantage to gain some elevation.  Even a few feet will help.  Also, for
group shots you want to use the longest length you possible can given the
constraints of shooting space.  I've been known to move a table against a
wall and stand on it, with my head inches from the ceiling,  for large
groups.   Again, within the constraints of available space, its generally
better to limit a row to around eight people and add a rown if need be,
rather than make the row(s) longer.  The long row is what tends to force the
photographer to a wider angle lens selection.  Usually a mix of standing,
sitting and/or kneeling and sitting of the floor will accomodate a pretty
large group.  Stairs are *very* handy, especially for a wedding party group
including family members.  Such a group can easily number 30-40 in a large
service.  Three or four steps are all you need.  If you don't have steps
handy, improvise.

John P