[OM] Silver-ringed Zuikos

Subject: [OM] Silver-ringed Zuikos
From: Debrux <Debrux@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 09:39:02 EDT

Hi all,  Thanks to those who sent advice on my OM flash connecter.  At least I
 now know there's no simple solution.

I have just been looking at an 85mm F2 at my local camera shop.  Besides the
 fact  he's asking GBP £239 for it (seems a lot to me), it is an old lens with
 the silver ring around the front.  Ditto a 35mm F2.8 he is selling for GBP
 £69.

He tells me: 'All the Olympus buffs want the older lenses'.  Is this just
 salesman's talk or is there a difference in optical quality.  If so, should I
 get it or wait until a newer one comes along?

Sorry if this subject has been 'done to death'.  If that's the case perhaps
 someone would be kind enough to post me a copy of the previous discussions.

PS  Like the Leica M-series cameras, I'm not sure you can improve on the
 manual focus OM's.  This may be blasphemy, but 'my OM5' would be a high
 resolution digital camera which can make use of the Oly system lenses and
 accessories.  Of course, they'd never do it because of all the peripheral
 sales they'd miss out on :-) Simon Debrux