Re: [OM] Silver-ringed Zuikos

Subject: Re: [OM] Silver-ringed Zuikos
From: PCA Cala <PCACala@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 11:22:31 EDT
Hi Simon:

> He tells me: 'All the Olympus buffs want the older lenses'.  Is this just
>   salesman's talk or is there a difference in optical quality.  If so,
should
> I get it or wait until a newer one comes along?

It is salesman's talk, unless buying habits are different in your part of the
world vs. the US.  The non-MC versions are almost always the same optical
formula (the 50 mm f/1.8 being the major example) and could be expected to
have higher flare levels (without getting into any statement regarding how
significant or non-significant this increase is!).  You should expect to pay
at the bottom of the range for the condition grade on non-multicoated Zuiko's.
However, virtually no used camera dealers in the US advertise if their Zuikos
are MC or not MC - which is very different from how they advertise Canon FD
lenses.  BTW, the 85 f/2.0 and 35 mm f/2.8 had unchanging optical formula.

The lenses in demand are the Mint condition ones.  They represent most of the
OM items which have appreciated in value over the last ten years, adjusted for
inflation.  (Super high production lenses and cameras, incl. the 35 mm f/2.8
and OM-G, have actually lost mint condition value).  The Exc+ (9) condition
items generally have held their value and asking price, and the Exc- (8) and
lower items have dropped in value over the same time period.  There is an
exception to this trend and that is the low production items, like the 250mm
f/2.0 lens.  The lower grades have apparently appreciated in value for rarer
items sought after by actual users, although trends are difficult to establish
due to such low supply (sales) of such items 10 years ago.

The bottom line is that for many items in the OM system, so many were produced
that we are only seeing a shortage of Mint condition equipment.  The lesser
grades have increased in availability as former users (for whatever reasons)
sold their equipment.  The US dealers who advertise have more offerings than
they did 10 years ago!

An aside:  I know this flies in the face of what some have posted here since
I've been on the list.  Suffice to say it's based on painsaking research.  The
kind that a buyer holds close to the chest.  But I thought I'd share some of
the trends, least folks think their equipment is worth more than it really is
- or buy at too high a price.

So Paul vT, when are you going to give up looking for just MInt condition
equipment?

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV