[OM] OM-5 digital

Subject: [OM] OM-5 digital
From: Peter Leyssens <Peter.Leyssens@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 11:47:54 +0200
>From: "John A. Prosper" <prosper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>|Let's
>|also hope that it's future-proof, i.e. you can change the CCD so that
>|when the 16Kx16K CCD in full 24-bit, with hardware grain-simulation
>|comes out, you can fit it in the OM-5 too.  :-)
>
>Well, if they want to make a pro digital camera, you would
>have to shoot for 36-bit color (12 bits apiece for red,
>green, and blue).  After all, there are 36-bit color slide
>scanners.

I meant *full* 24 bit.  If you find yourself a 36-bit color slide
scanner with 12 *effective* bits, you'll be paying the kind of money you
think of when buying a house (with a swimming pool, that is).  Some
people I know work in space industry and they have a *full* 16-bit CCD
(B/W of course).  They bought it for $50.000, but that was only because
there was a complete line defective.

In commercial CCDs, the lowest n bits are always garbage.

--
Peter Leyssens
Eonic Systems

Personal e-mail : Peter.Leyssens@xxxxxxxxx