Re: [OM] OM-5 digital

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-5 digital
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 21:44:54 +0800
For me, in the coming two years, if there is an OM digital body with 3Kx2K
CCD selling at below USD1500 that would be great, I would not dream for a
16Kx16K CCD. Concerning the color, I think at least 10 bits for each RGB is
needed. Although most of the computers and software are limited to 8 bits
each channel, but a source of 10 to 12 bit is very common today. Most of
the updated film scanners and flatbeds are with 12 bit internal color, I
think with these  scanners, pre-adjustment of scanning curve will work much
better than the 8 bit one.

I have pay with my Nikon LS-10 film scanner for few years, the 8 bit color
is always a problem for some of my slides with high contrast ratio (or some
over/under exposed slides). Pre-adjustment of scanning curve will not
provide you more dark or highlight details as compared to the post
adjustment after scan by photo software.

C.H.Ling
Hongkong