Re: [OM] PEN

Subject: Re: [OM] PEN
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 May 1998 23:17:58 +0200
Peter Leyssens wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there an overview of the Pen cameras available ?  I hear you talking
> about Pen-E, Pen-F, Pen-EE and Pen-EE2 and maybe some others but of
> course, search engines didn't give much useful when looking for Pen and
> Olympus.
>
> --
> Peter Leyssens
> Eonic Systems
>
> Personal e-mail : Peter.Leyssens@xxxxxxxxx
> Support mail : support@xxxxxxxxx

Hi Peter,

Nobody else seems to go for this, so I'll give it a try.

I do not have much information, but what I have is this: The Pen series are
18x24 mm (half format) cameras. Pen F is one of a very few (the only?) half
format SLR cameras ever made. At least two variants were made: Pen F and Pen FT;
I'm not entirely sure of the differences, but I think the FT had a built-in
light
meter. I also have a vague memory, that the shutter mechanism was a little
unusual.
I think the term used was "Rotating focal plane shutter", whatever that means.
The shape of the Pen F is remarkable by the absence of the extension for the
penta-prism used in most other 35mm SLRs. It is almost a flat box, looking a bit
like a Leica M body.
Olympus used to make an adapter allowing OM mount Zuikos to be used
with these cameras.

The Pen-EE series were more or less "point and shoot" cameras. Very compact,
108x66x42mm, due to the small negative. Pen EE-3 has a 28mm F3.5 fix-focus
lens (4 elements, 3 groups). Pen EES-2 has a 30mm F2.8 lens, same optical
configuration, but with 4 zone focusing mechanism and slightly thicker. Both
have auto shutter range from 1/40s to 1/200s, but manual aperture.
I expect Pen EE and Pen EE-2 to be the immediate predecessors to the Pen EE-3
and very similar. Somebody else on the list may know.

I have never seen a formal overview of the Pen camereras, which of course
does not mean that it it is not somewhere out there.

Hope all this is may be of some use.

Regards
Lars

--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> aka <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"