Re: [OM] OT: Film Speed Error

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Film Speed Error
From: VELUWEH@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 06:45:17 -0400
John wrote:

>Hi, I have a roll of Ektachrome 400.  When I loaded it in my OM-4t, I
>thought I set the correct ASA but when I rewound the film I see that
the
>ASA is at 800.
>Now, I'm not sure if the ASA dial moved or I just set it wrong.  I am
>wondering if I should just have it pushed to 800 or maybe 600.  Any
>suggestions?

Maybe you made a few shots with exposure compensation? The
e.compensation/ASA setting dial on the OM-3 and OM-4 is poorly
designed, not as reliable as on the OM-1 and OM-2. When you drop the
dial into the ASA setting but not exactly in its place, it is not
locked and turning the exposure compensation ring also turns the ASA
setting; turning compensation off does not neccessarily restore the
correct ASA setting. I think the ASA locking mechanism is subject to
wear and tear; at least my OM-3 does not suffer at much from this
problem as does my OM-4 (which is in a less condition). Maybe it can
even be fixed. If you're sure you didn't use exposure compensation, you
just forgot to set it correctly (was the previous film you used
actually an ASA 800?), and the film should be pushed to 800. If you did
compensate, you must decide for yourself which part of the film must be
developed at correct speed. I would go for either 400 or 800 - when you
use 600 all exposures will be 1/2 stop off.

Hans