Re: [OM] Telephoto lens.

Subject: Re: [OM] Telephoto lens.
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 16:15:18 +0200

Ingemar Uvhagen wrote:

>Friends,
>
>I have an OM-10 with a few Zuiko lenses. Now, I am looking for a
>telephoto lens of 400 mm or 500 mm. It seems however, that getting a
>Zuiko is more than difficult (too few on sale) and they seem to be too
>expensive for my wallet, so I want to know if someone can recommend some
>other brand e.g. Tokina, Tamron, Vivitar etc. How are these in
>comparison to Zuiko lenses when it comes to sharpness, colour and
>general quality?
>
>--
>Regards/
>  Ingemar Uvhagen
>  Gislaved, Sweden

Hej Ingemar

My favourite choice was and is the Sigma APO 400. Not at all in the same
league as the Zuikos, but still very much optics for the money. Note that it
fudges somewhat regarding focal length, comparing it to my Zuiko 300/4.5
with and without the 1.4x converter (420 mm), I'd say it is around 370 mm
instead of 400. Doesn't sound very much but when shooting small birds etc.
this little difference can be crucial. The same goes for the Tokina SD
version, of which I was not too impressed BTW. (Other list-members have
expressed their satisfaction, though). The Sigma non-APO version is the same
mechanically (not much to brag about) but optics are far inferior to the
APO-version.

IMHO the Zuikos 300/4.5+1.4X and 400/6.3 are in a class by themselves.

Ulf Westerberg
Klagshamn (almost Malmo), Sweden