Re: [OM] KILL the Fungus

Subject: Re: [OM] KILL the Fungus
From: "Thomas H. Hogan" <flzhgn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 07:40:48 -0700
Marco Tomat wrote:

Potassium Permanganate is a strong oxidant and a
strong purple colorant. It is sometimes used to clean
laboratory glassware to remove contaminants that are
too stubborn for detergents.  It will impart a purple
color that can be removed with sodium sulphate, if I
remember.  I used it once on some plastic parts and
could not remove the purple color.
It is sometimes used in aquariums to kill protozoan, and
metazoan parasites and sometimes algae.

I would never put a potassium permanganate solution on
my camera lens because I'd be afraid that it would oxidize
the plastic coating.

I would follow the advice that was given about Pond's
cold cream to remove the fungus, followed by methanol
applied with a cotton tipped applicator to remove the
Pond's Cold Cream and kill the fungus.

Methanol (CH3OH) not isopropyl alcohol, not ethanol
Just use methanol so you don't destroy the coatings.
You can obtain methanol at most hardware store in the
USA where it is called either "denatured alcohol" or
"wood alcohol"
Remember, methanol is dangerous and a poison.
Keep it away from children (don't keep it
at all)
Avoid breathing methanol vapors try not to spill it
on your hands, etc.
> On Mar, 5 mag 1998 12:41, Branko GT <mailto:gjuro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >Any comments on potential problems with this method.
> >
> magenta hue?
>
> Marco

Hank Hogan --

BTW,  I'm looking for a job as a biological science research
    technician.  If you know of anyone who might need a technician
    with my skills (see resume on my home page) please let me know.
--
Thomas ?Hank? Hogan
Biologist, Photographer, Web Designer