[OM] Flash spot metering/OM-40 question (was Re:Oly supplimentary

Subject: [OM] Flash spot metering/OM-40 question (was Re:Oly supplimentary
From: VELUWEH@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 05:33:47 -0400
C.H.Ling wrote:

>I think spot metering is not practical for flash, remember how you use
>spot metering for available light photo? You have to select the spot
>area and lock the exposure, then re-compose your picture. For spot
>flash, how can you assume the objects at center are always with 18%
>reflection?
>As far as I know, only the Contax RTS III provide this feature and it
>require preflash before actual exposure. Then why not use an incidence
>flash light meter, I think it would be more accurate?
>My idea for the best flash control is distance measurement, such as the
>one in OM707 (0M77) which calculate the object distance and adjust the
>aperture. Of course it is better to adjust the flash power output
rather
>then the aperture (even better if the computer also take the available
>light into calculation and there is +/- compensation control). Only
with
>this method the flash are accurate no matter what the object color is
>and how far the background are behind. Ah! may be the IS3000 is using
>this method for flash control.

That right, it is the IS-3000, not the OM-707 that uses flashmatic. The
OM-707 adjusts the flash duration and not aperture to get proper
exposure. Even worse, the confounded thing was notorious for its
downgraded flash technique because it always uses aperture F4. Very bad
indeed when you want close-up flash or a large DOF.
A reason why I would like spot metering with flash is for shots in
large halls with no reflection where the meter is influenced by a black
background. With TTL flash you can only get proper exposure using the
exposure compensation dial (minus 1 or 2 stops, hopefully); spot flash
metering or ESP flash metering would be more accurate.
BTW, does anyone have experience with the OM-40's ESP control, in
combination with TTL flash? Does it work in situations I described
above?

Hans