Re: [OM] Flash spot metering/OM-40 question (was Re:Oly supplimentary

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash spot metering/OM-40 question (was Re:Oly supplimentary
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 20:17:04 +0800
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [OM] Flash spot metering/OM-40 question (was Re:Oly
supplimentary
> Date: Monday, May 11, 1998 5:33 PM
>
> That right, it is the IS-3000, not the OM-707 that uses flashmatic. The
> OM-707 adjusts the flash duration and not aperture to get proper
> exposure. Even worse, the confounded thing was notorious for its
> downgraded flash technique because it always uses aperture F4. Very bad
> indeed when you want close-up flash or a large DOF.
> A reason why I would like spot metering with flash is for shots in
> large halls with no reflection where the meter is influenced by a black
> background. With TTL flash you can only get proper exposure using the
> exposure compensation dial (minus 1 or 2 stops, hopefully); spot flash
> metering or ESP flash metering would be more accurate.
> BTW, does anyone have experience with the OM-40's ESP control, in
> combination with TTL flash? Does it work in situations I described
> above?
>
> Hans

Hi Hans,

Sorry, I have forgot to mention the Power Flash Grip 300, when attached to
the OM707 it works at flashmatic mode. For IS-3000, the flash power will
change with distance, that is why it called IVP flash. When OM TTL flash
are attached to the OM707, the aperture is fixed at F4 with the Olympus AF
lens but with Zuiko lens you can set any aperture you wanted.

TTL flash control in OM40 is average metering. As in your case, if you are
using wide angle lens, the sensor built in the flash may work better than
TTL flash, since it cover only around 20 degrees.

C.H.Ling