Re: [OM] Telephoto lens.

Subject: Re: [OM] Telephoto lens.
From: Ingemar Uvhagen <ingemar.uvhagen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 21:09:23 +0200
John P,

To answer your question "...what is your prime target with such a long
lens?":
I will use it for photographing animals in the nature, and generally
getting closer to any distant object. I therefore think I don't need the
lens to have apertures more that 5.6 as Tokina has (to mention one).
However, I don't want the lens to be too slow either, because then I
will not be able to have the possibility to take pictures as I might
with a bigger aperture. I know the money talks in this case.
Basically I want something in between as animals don't pose, if you know
what I mean. So, not too slow, but not too fast.

I think, as Temmu Oinonen said, that a Tokina 400/5.6 might be a good
buy. I have heard it is quite reliable, good and not too expensive. Of
course I am only looking for second hand lenses as they are just as good
as new lenses (if they have been treated well of course).

Now, what is so good with Zuiko telephoto lenses as both you, John, and
Ulf says? I have heard that Zuiko was the "state of the art" when they
came, but that today's lenses are far better. I don't know myself, that
is why I am curious and asking. Is it the colour, the sharpness, the
contrast handling or what?

Regards/
  Ingemar Uvhagen
  Gislaved, Sweden