Re: [OM] Telephoto lens.

Subject: Re: [OM] Telephoto lens.
From: "John Petrush" <jpetrush@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 21:27:27 -0400
Ingemar Uvhagen <ingemar.uvhagen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wondered:

>Now, what is so good with Zuiko telephoto lenses as both you, John, and
>Ulf says? I have heard that Zuiko was the "state of the art" when they
>came, but that today's lenses are far better. I don't know myself, that
>is why I am curious and asking. Is it the colour, the sharpness, the
>contrast handling or what?

I expect the emperical data for the Zuikos are superior to any third-party
maker.  All my Zuikos have consistently outstanding quality about them - the
"hard" performance like contrast and sharpness - as well as the more
subjective things like finish and feel.  A Zuiko lens just feels better in
my hands.  My sole dislike of the big Tokina is it's soft feel; the focus is
just too light for my liking.  Every Zuiko feels precise - firm and
positive - not tight or loose.  But I think I need to borrow a 300mm Zuik
for a few days and do a side by side comparison.  Any volunteers to send me
their prized 300 f/4.5 for a little while??????

John P