Re: [OM] Telephoto lens.

Subject: Re: [OM] Telephoto lens.
From: ONLYOLY BW <ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 00:41:27 EDT
In a message dated 98-05-11 15:21:46 EDT,
 Ingemar you write:

Hi Ingemar,
We have a common interest and I have had the same questions as you.  Here are
some of my thoughts.
<< I will use it for photographing animals in the nature, and generally
 getting closer to any distant object. I therefore think I don't need the
 lens to have apertures more that 5.6 as Tokina has (to mention one).
 However, I don't want the lens to be too slow either, because then I
 will not be able to have the possibility to take pictures as I might
 with a bigger aperture. I know the money talks in this case.
 Basically I want something in between as animals don't pose, if you know
 what I mean. So, not too slow, but not too fast.

Snip!
You may want to consider the Zuiko 300 f4.5 and later add a Zuiko1.4 TC.  The
300mm can be used with a shoulder stock very well, many say a 400mm cannot.
The 1.4 TC will give you 420mm f6.3 in a nice compact package although a bit
SLOW..  To get one more stop f4 or f4.5 at 400mm will cost you $1,000+ US
(used).  As you know speed cost $$'s.  Tamron made (discontinued) a nice 400mm
f4, and you can find them used for around $1,500 US.

 I think, as Temmu Oinonen said, that a Tokina 400/5.6 might be a good
 buy. I have heard it is quite reliable, good and not too expensive. Of
 course I am only looking for second hand lenses as they are just as good
 as new lenses (if they have been treated well of course).

Snip!
Therefore, if you want 400mm, then you will be stuck with f5.6.  I have a
Tokina 400mm f 5.6.  I only paid $150 US used (new in a box).  It seems sharp
enough, I did a test compared to my Zuiko 85-250 and the far edges were
sharper on the 250mm, but I am not sure it was a fair test (250 vs 400).  The
Tokina Tripod collar was very flimsy and the lens did not fit tight to the
body.  I solved this by mounting a 4 inch long "Kirk" or (Ara Swiss type)
plate to the bottom of the lens and bottom of an OM1n with an old Motor Drive
1.  This makes every thing nice and tight, although I loose the rotation
ability of the tripod collar.  I use this as a "want kill me if I loose it or
damage it setup".

 Now, what is so good with Zuiko telephoto lenses as both you, John, and
 Ulf says? I have heard that Zuiko was the "state of the art" when they
 came, but that today's lenses are far better. I don't know myself, that
 is why I am curious and asking. Is it the colour, the sharpness, the
 contrast handling or what?

Snip!
I asked myself this very same question.  I would love to have a Zuiko 350 f
2.8 with a new 1.4 TC.  But, at $6,000 I don't think so!  I never did
understand why Olympus sold the 300mm f4.5 for 1/3rd the price of the 400mm
f6.3.  I have only seen one used 400mm and the guy still wanted $900.  Again,
I don't think so.  Although I consider Zuiko lenses to be amoung the best, we
still have to be realistic and admit that the 1990's "Professional Series"
from Sigma and Tamron are at least equal or maybe even better than the 15 year
old Zuiko designs and are a whole lot less $$'s.  There are alot of Nikon and
Canon Pros who publish material using Sigma APO and Tamron LD lens.  I almost
changed to Nikon because of this telephoto problem, but I really love my OLY
system so I decided to solve it with aftermarket lens.  I finally found a used
Sigma APO 500mm f 4.5 and most recently a Tamron 300mm f2.8 with a 1.4 & 2X
TC.  I think you will find, as I did, that you need all the SPEED you can get
in wildlife photograqhy.  The best days to shoot are overcast or early or
late.  The best films are 50 or 100 asa.  So you can forget "sunny 16"
shooting.  I cannot begin to tell you how many times I wanted "just one more
stop"
Anyway, if it were me, I would buy a good used Zuiko 300mm f4.5 for starters
and then look for a used "Professional Series" FAST 400mm or 500mm.
Good Luck!
BW