Re: [OM] Winder vs. Motor Drive

Subject: Re: [OM] Winder vs. Motor Drive
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 07:22:33 GMT
On Tue, 12 May 1998 08:27:54 +0200, "Chmielewski, Artur"
<AChmielewski@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hi all!
>Once again, one of these boring questions: what is really the difference
>between Winder and Motor Drive besides different speeds and some minor
>features (rewinding film, etc.). I mean why these 2 products were (are?)
>produced as separate devices (under different names) - what is the
>difference in usage philosphy?
>Thanx in regards and regards,
>Artur Ch.

Artur, you already mentioned all the important differences. Speed is
number 1, very important for professional use. The motor drive also
was the only one to be connected to the AC control box (including
intervalometer) which was (and still is) mainly used in scientific
laboratory situations. Later the quartz intervalometer came on stage,
and this one connects to the winder as well.
Especially with MD1: if you keep the battery in your pocket, the
camera+motor combo is much lighter in weight and also smaller than
with a winder attached.
The motor drives are also stronger, mechanically speaking. I have seen
many winders with cracks in them, some were even broken in two or more
parts after a drop on the floor. The NiCad packs under the motor
drives will show dings, no more damage than that...

I think the best way to put it is that the motor drives were made for
professional use, while the winders were intended for the less
demanding amateur.

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.