Re: [OM] Telephoto lens.

Subject: Re: [OM] Telephoto lens.
From: Mikael von Numers <mnumers@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 15:13:51 -0700

> I don't think the new design lenses are better then the old one. The old I
> mean from 1980-1990, of course not the 1960's design. One of the critical
> limitation for newer design are the lens group for focusing have to be
> smaller and lighter. Internal focusing dominated the tele market and which
> require more lens elements. Which will make lens design more difficult and
> increase the cost, so quality and cost have to be balanced.

It is possible that the Zuiko 300F4.5 was designed already in the late 60ies.
This lens was among the first Zuikos availabel in the beginning of the 70ies.
There are at least one example of a lens, still in production, that is a much
older design: the Leica Summilux-M F1.4, from about 1964 (1962).

Mikael