Re: [OM] KILL the Fungus & Pond's & MeOH

Subject: Re: [OM] KILL the Fungus & Pond's & MeOH
From: "Thomas H. Hogan" <flzhgn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 09:34:19 -0700
John Austin wrote:

> Thomas H. Hogan wrote:
> >Methanol (CH3OH) not isopropyl alcohol, not ethanol
> >Just use methanol so you don't destroy the coatings.
> >You can obtain methanol at most hardware store in the
> >USA where it is called either "denatured alcohol" or
> >"wood alcohol"

Dear John Austin:

  I do not know if it is safe to use ethyl alcohol or
  the 4% MeOH(CH3OH) : 96 0.000000E+00tOH (CH3CH2OH) denatured alcohol mix
  on the coatings. The reason that it is called denatured is that
  when EtOH is heated under pressure it "denatures" to MeOH (methanol)
  which is poison and can cause blindness if ingested.

  Perhaps John Hermanson can tell us or someone
  should call Mount Olympus!

  I think that I did damage the coatings on a Hoya 2X doubler
  when I immersed it into 70 0sopropyl "rubbing" alcohol
  after dropping into a creek while photographing water striders.
  After using the Isopropyl alcohol on this doubler a "yellow-ish"
  "stain" appeared.

 BTW:  Frank, if you are reading this, the Pond's cold cream
       was purchased at a Sav-On's drugstore and was listed as
       "Original Formula" deep cleanser.  The Pond's institute
       has an 800 number (1-800-743-8640) The net wt. 3.5 oz
       (99g) is more than a lifetime supply considering the
       small amount that would be used on a lens.

       I would suggest you try looking for it at a "De Hema"
       (Dutch equivalent of Woolworth's store).  There was
       one in Amsterdam the last time I was there.  The clerk
       might "bat an eyelash" at you though, especially if you
       ask him for the "Henk discount" !

  Hank Hogan

--
Hank Hogan --

BTW,  I'm looking for a job as a biological science research
    technician.  If you know of anyone who might need a technician
    with my skills (see resume on my home page) please let me know.
--
Thomas ?Hank? Hogan
Biologist, Photographer, Web Designer