Re: [OM] KILL the Fungus

Subject: Re: [OM] KILL the Fungus
From: Richard Schätzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 15:34:14 +0200
John Austin wrote:

> Thomas H. Hogan wrote:
> >Methanol (CH3OH) not isopropyl alcohol, not ethanol
> >Just use methanol so you don't destroy the coatings.

I´m wondering why methanol should do less harm to the coating than
ethanol. Methanol is obvious the stronger solvent, at least to plastics,
organics

Why should alcohol solve the coatings of your lens? They are made of
metalfluorids, so they should resistant to organic solvents, a differnt
thing are oxidating or reducing agents.

> >You can obtain methanol at most hardware store in the
> >USA where it is called either "denatured alcohol" or
> >"wood alcohol"

> Hank,
>
> I'm a bit confused. I looked at my can of denatured alcohol (from the
> hardware store) and it says that it contains denatured ethyl alcohol,
> and emphasizes that it contains less than 4% methanol. I checked other
> brands from different stores with the same results. Comments please.

Denaturated alcohol is always ethanol, mixed with other liquids to make
it unfit for human consumation.
This is reason, why you shouldn´t use denaturated alcohol for lens
cleaning, you didn´t know what they used (you might get smeary effects
on the lens or paint, plastics will be affected).

BTW. Leitz, Leica recommends an mixture of 2 parts pure ethanol (from
the pharmacy) and 1 part destiled water (not deionizide water) for lens
cleaning. Not for fungus of course.

Richard