Re: [OM] Telephoto lens.

Subject: Re: [OM] Telephoto lens.
From: gma <gma@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 13:48:43 -0700
Ingemar;

I didn't get a chance to respond to your original post.  But here's my 2
cents:

Point 3, below, would be my choice in this price range.  I have this
combo and it is great.  Very sharp, low flare, good contrast.  A photo
buddy has the Tokina 400 F/5.6 (in a Nikon mount) and it is definitely
inferior to 300 + 1.4x Zuikos.  I've done a comparison.

Now, having said all this, I'll add one more (sacriligious?) (crazy?)
point.  You're gonna want more, no matter which of these options you
choose.  More speed especially.  I think I recall wildlife was one of
your intended subjects?  You'll want the fastest lens you can get.  Not
only will it allow you to take photos in low light and shadow, but it'll
be far easier to critically focus.  So what I'm saying is, perhaps for
double the cost of a 300 + 1.4 Zuiko (used in USA that'd be about ...
$600 - 800 I think?) you could probably find a good used Tamron 300
F/2.8 LD, about which I've heard good things.  Be sure it's the latest
top-of-the-line model, as the first release wasn't so good. Course a
Zuiko 350 F/2.8 would be better, but that'd cost about $3000 used!  OK,
OK if you can't afford it I'm sorry to bring it up.  I'm just passing
along what I learned.  If you can possibley stretch to this price, do
it. Who can justify that much for a lens?  But it may be the right thing
in the long run.  Course you'll want to add a 1.4 or a 2X ... it never
ends.

Good luck.

--

george  :>)