Re: [OM] Beattie Intenscreen and Bogen Comments (and Zuikoholism)....

Subject: Re: [OM] Beattie Intenscreen and Bogen Comments (and Zuikoholism)....
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 23:54:45 +0200
gma wrote:

> John A. Prosper wrote:
>

> > One thing to keep in mind is that the relatively lower
> > contrast of zooms, caused by their higher lens element
> > count, will always cause them to be lesser in sharpness to a
> > fixed lens built to similar design standards.
>
> John;
>
> I think you're stating here what I assumed would be true, that fixed would
> be sharper than zoom, all else equal.  But the data in the mp tests on
> Lees' page seems to contradict that somewhat.
>
> I've always blindly bought primes for the very reason you've stated.  But
> after seeing the numbers, perhaps a couple of the Zuiko zooms would give
> results of equal caliber?
>
> One reason I'm asking is that I've found a guy who's got 4 or 5 Zuiko zooms
> he's going to be selling and I'm wondering if I should pick up a couple.
> I'm thinking specifically of the 24-28 and the 35-105.
>
> george

Is there a 24-28mm zoom??
I'll gamble and guess that it's the 28-48mm. From my personal experience, I'd
say that it's a quite reasonable zoom with good contrast. It only has 8
elements,
so there is not too much glass.

However there is one thing you need to keep an eye open for: Slack or wear in
the zoom mechanism, causing the focus to drift significantly when zooming. I
own three Zuiko zooms, all having this problem to some degree. One is decidedly
loose: The front with the focusing ring can be moved close to one millimeter
back and forth due to slack! Not my most reliable lens and one of the reasons
for my preference for fixed lenses.

Nowadays I'm feel I have to be extremely careful when considering a used zoom.
Fixed lenses are so much easier to judge due to simpler mechanics.

Regards
Lars
--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> aka <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"