Re: [OM] Stroboscopic flash for OM

Subject: Re: [OM] Stroboscopic flash for OM
From: "John Petrush" <jpetrush@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 22:47:35 -0400
John Pittman <pittman@xxxxxxxxxxx> asked:

>I would like to do some stroboscopic shots of sports action (in a
>studiolike location) using OM 1, 2, 10 or 3, inexpensively.
>Any clues?

Hmmmmm.....its that "inexpensively" part that makes this harder <g>.  Do you
have Radio Shacks in Oz?  You need some kind of strobe, preferably one you
can regulate the flashing rate.  The Tandy Co, aka Radio Shack sells them
cheaply.  Then all you need is a darkened room, a sturdy tripod and a cable
release.

Set the camera sutter to Bulb.  Rehearse the particular sports motion you
are interested in photographing.  Precompose and focus.  Now the fun
begins.....turn on the strobe and turn off the lights.  When you tell the
subject "Go", open the shutter for as long as it takes to complete the
motion, then close it.  On go the room lights.

A fair amount of experimentation is needed to get the strobe exposure right.
A flash meter is invaluable.  Doing this in near total darkness is best.  A
black background drape can be helpful.

John P