Re: [OM] Slides on the cheap - a beginners guide

Subject: Re: [OM] Slides on the cheap - a beginners guide
From: PCA Cala <PCACala@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 00:59:58 EDT
Hi Joel:

> Or go the film scanner, Photoshop, Epson (or _______) inkjet route.

I fully agree.  I haven't had a darkroom in years and while I miss the
results, I find that an Epson Color Stylus 800 with a HP PhotoSmart scanner
and Photoshop and/or Corel PhotoPAINT to be a great substitute.  (It is good
enough to make folks go "ooh."  You can do far more manipulation of images
digitally than you can in the darkroom.  The cost of ink and fine paper makes
me shutter, but it is far less than what I paid for Cibachrome paper and
chemistry.

Incidently, I just finished a project in which I could choose between a 10 x
6.6" ink jet print of a 2400 dpi 35 mm transparency, or a 10 x 8" print of a
300 dpi scan of a 4x5" contact print of a transparency.  The 35 mm wins hands
down.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV