Re: [OM] What's wrong with an OM-10?

Subject: Re: [OM] What's wrong with an OM-10?
From: VELUWEH@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 05:51:21 -0400
Ingemar Uvhagen wrote:

>Well, It is not the first time someone says disparage things of an
>OM-10. My question is simply; what is so wrong with the OM-10?

There's nothing 'wrong' with an OM-10. All I was trying to do was
saying that only the single digit OM camera's (1,2,3,4 and their
varieties) are true professional System Cameras, that are supposed to
stand up to professional abuse like shooting 20 rolls a film a day
(probably with a motor drive) or dropping them (very professional,
huh?). The OM-1 line cameras are built sturdier than the OM-10 line
cameras and are therefore more reliable. Camera reliabity is a
prerequisite for people who are earning their bread and butter with it.
Besides they provide more connections with the OM System, like the
exchangeable focusing screens and camera backs, the TTL flashes, TTL
flash cable connectors and the motor drives.
The OM-10 line (which also includes the 20,30 and 40) and the 101 and
707 are really intended for amateurs. This doesn't neccessarily mean
these are inferiour cameras (although most people agree the 707-AF
actually is inferiour, not worthy to Olympus). Anyway, the OM-10 family
is still built sturdier than most modern plastic AF amateur cameras.
But they do give more troubles than the OM-1 family. The most common
one seems to be the oily shutter magnet, which makes shutter speeds
unreliable. John can without any doubt name a few other common OM-10
problems.
The OM-10 was my first OM, bought second hand, and I happily used it
for eight years; it only needed service once (yes the shutter magnet).
But then, I did not shoot 20 rolls every day with it... After trying an
OM-30 for a while I decided I was more interested in the possibilities
of the 'pro' line and currently I have only an OM-2, OM-3 and OM-4. Not
because I shoot 20 rolls of film daily with them but because I wanted
multi spot metering, multiple off-camera TTL flashes, the 2-4 screen,
the more silent Motor Drive (yes the noise of the Winder is horrible),
1/2000 shutter speed, looooooooong auto shutter speeds, etc., etc. (yes
in these "etc., etceteras" are also the features I described in my want
for an OM-5).

Hans