Re: [OM] 300mm + 2X questions

Subject: Re: [OM] 300mm + 2X questions
From: VELUWEH@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 08:38:32 -0400
Andre wrote:

>How well does the Zuiko 300m4.5  + Zuiko 2X perform? Olympus does not
>recommend it...they don't denounce it but what the hey, all the parts
>fit together and so why not?  Obviously the combo is not a good as the
>real thing, a Zuiko 600m f 6.5 (f 6.3?)  but I am interested in
anyone's
>experience/opinion with the differences between these.

Although Olympus does not recommend this combination, using their own
quality standards, many of us have used it because it still produces
very acceptable results. The only drawback is the slow F9 speed that
makes focusing much harder than the bare lens or the 1.4xA combi.
Tripod highly recommended although hand-held in plenty light conditions
is still possible @ 1/1000 sec. using 400 or 800 ASA.

>Second question is aren't you suppose to lose two full stops when you
>put a 2X on? Some situations this does not show up in the camera's
>metering.

This can happen because of the narrower angle of the lens with 2xA
combi giving you some spot metering as compared to the bare lens; when
you aim it at an object that is brighter than the average of he area
covered by the bare lens you still may get the same shutter speed. A
true OM-4 spot metering on the same area with the bare lens and with
the combi will tell you that the converter actually did cost you two
stops.

Hans