Re: [OM] What's wrong with an OM-10?

Subject: Re: [OM] What's wrong with an OM-10?
From: Ingemar Uvhagen <ingemar.uvhagen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 14:40:11 +0200
VELUWEH@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> But they do give more troubles than the OM-1 family. The most common
> one seems to be the oily shutter magnet, which makes shutter speeds
> unreliable. John can without any doubt name a few other common OM-10
> problems.

John who? Anyway, please tell me John, I am curious to know. It will let
me
be more aware of possible problems in the future and I may then know
what
it is all about.

> The OM-10 was my first OM, bought second hand, and I happily used it
> for eight years; it only needed service once (yes the shutter magnet).

Eight years! I have heard a camera should get served at least every
third
year... Right? Well, at least on electronic cameras, if I may call them
(OM-10 for instance) "electronic". H'm, what I am trying to say is that
pure manual camera does not need as much service as "nothing" can go
wrong,
if you know what I mean. For example I also have a Canon FP from the mid
60's and that one is still very good and I would like to believe it is
because it is a manual camera. Besides, I have heard that a manual
camera
is only working better if it is used regularly while a camera with
electronic parts may fail if it is not checked every now and then.
Correct
me if I am wrong. (Sorry about the off-topic.)

> multi spot metering, multiple off-camera TTL flashes, the 2-4 screen,
> the more silent Motor Drive (yes the noise of the Winder is horrible),

Well, I don't have a Winder only lenses.... Man, I have not even a
flash!

> 1/2000 shutter speed,

I must admit I miss that sometimes, usually because of too much light so
will buy an ND filter one of these days.

Regards/
  Ingemar Uvhagen
  Gislaved, Sweden