Re: [OM]New question OM-5 digital

Subject: Re: [OM]New question OM-5 digital
From: Kennedy <rkm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 01:35:50 +0100
In article , Greg Heier <gheier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
>The CCD size limitations are similar to those in the production of LCD
>panels, and the max production size of those been increasing
>continuously over time. I expect the same will happen to CCDs,
>eventually making 35mm-sized CCDs a reality.

One major difference between LCD panels for display and CCDs for imaging
is that the former are made by depositing thin metal films onto a glass
substrate which simply activate a continuous liquid film (the LCD)
whilst the CCD is fabricated by doping and implanting the silicon
substrate AND depositing metal and dielectric films onto it.  Whilst the
defects on the LCD are typically caused by discontinuities in the metal
tracking which can be identified and repaired as part of the production
process using metal ion beam techniques, the same is NOT true for the
crystalline and dopant defects which cause failures and low yield in
silicon devices.

Whilst I agree that EVENTUALLY the problems will be solved, they cannot
be compared to each other technically.  I would not advise holding your
breath until you see a 35mm full frame CCD back for under $1000.  If you
are really lucky, you might get to see something along those lines in
10-20, perhaps more years.
--
Kennedy
Python Philosophers         (replace 'nospam' with 'kennedym' when replying)