Re: [OM] Telephoto lens (Summary)

Subject: Re: [OM] Telephoto lens (Summary)
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 23:29:27 -0800
Ingemar Uvhagen wrote:

>To sum up the question I had about telephoto lenses, I understood that:
[snip Ingemar's summary]

Here are a few more pointers that AFAIK no one else brought up yet.

There are some pretty interesting long telephoto zooms out there:

(a) Vivitar 120-600mm F5.6-8 -- 2-touch, very well built, good performer,
    a rock solid tripod is a must for decent picts. I used to own one.
    Sells for $350-400. I believe the same lens also sold under a few
    other brand names.

(b) Tamron SP 200-500mm F5.6 -- dunno much about it, but most SP lenses
    are well above average. Quite scarce, should be in the $800-900 range.

(c) Tokina AT-X 150-500mm F5.6 -- 1-touch, only recently discontinued.
    I have no first-hand experience with it. However, I believe that
    someone on this list (maybe Larry Clark?) owns one. Also around $800.

Someone (John P.?) already mentioned the Tamron SP 400mm F4 LDIF, which
was released in Limited Edition as part of Tamron's anniversary and
came packaged with a matched 1.4X TC. A fantastic specimen -- Tamron's
prestige lens, together with the SP 180mm F2.5. Not surprisingly, the
400/f4 is rather pricey and hard to find. Recently, I saw one for sale
at the Pasadena camera show. US$1,600.  No, I didn't splurge :-).

I'll comment on the mirror lenses in a separate msg.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx