[OM] OLY on eBay: revelations

Subject: [OM] OLY on eBay: revelations
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 01:07:50 -0800
Amigos:

Today, I took yet another peek at eBay. I must confess that thus far
each time a took this "trip on a wild side", it never failed to
amaze me, and today was no exception.

Here are a few of today's revelations:

- a used hardcase for the 75-150mm Zuiko sold for $18 + shipping;
- a used hardcase for the 50mm macro sold for $23 + shipping;
- a used hardcase for 28mm Zuiko sold for $27 + shipping (at least,
  that one had the lens hood inside);
- a new Oly leather grip strap sold for $37 + shipping (I believe
  Photosphere in Dallas, TX sells them new for $24.95).

Given the above demand, and contrasting it with the fact that normal
OM photo gear on eBay (bodies, lenses, strobes, bellows, etc.) which
can actually by useful in PHOTOGRAPHY, typically sells there close
to or below its true market value, IMHO, we have enough evidence to
conclude that, sadly, Olympus is right on pricing its OM tchatchkes
as high as it does.

In fact, with such fat profit margins on all this bric-a-brac, who
would want to deal in cameras or lenses in the first place? (PvT, are
you listening?)

And to think that I was naively including hardcases with most of
the OM lenses I sold last year. Or grip straps with Bounce Grip 2's.
Well, no more! eBay, here they come! (my hardcases, that is... :-))

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx