Re: [OM] OLY on eBay: revelations

Subject: Re: [OM] OLY on eBay: revelations
From: "Doug Nowlin" <wa5ohb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 10:26:15 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Saturday, May 16, 1998 3:52 AM
Subject: [OM] OLY on eBay: revelations

>Amigos:
>
>Today, I took yet another peek at eBay. I must confess that thus far
>each time a took this "trip on a wild side", it never failed to
>amaze me, and today was no exception.
>
>Here are a few of today's revelations:
>
>- a used hardcase for the 75-150mm Zuiko sold for $18 + shipping;
>- a used hardcase for the 50mm macro sold for $23 + shipping;
>- a used hardcase for 28mm Zuiko sold for $27 + shipping (at least,
>  that one had the lens hood inside);
>- a new Oly leather grip strap sold for $37 + shipping (I believe
>  Photosphere in Dallas, TX sells them new for $24.95).
>
>Given the above demand, and contrasting it with the fact that normal
>OM photo gear on eBay (bodies, lenses, strobes, bellows, etc.) which
>can actually by useful in PHOTOGRAPHY, typically sells there close
>to or below its true market value, IMHO, we have enough evidence to
>conclude that, sadly, Olympus is right on pricing its OM tchatchkes
>as high as it does.

I have been doing some serious eBay buying and selling lately, and there is
no pattern. I bought a lens for $80, and one the same lens in the same
condition went for $120 a few hours earlier. The opposite happened on some
other items. Other items that bring zip elsewhere will bring obscene prices
on eBay. One trend I have noticed is that what I am selling brings nothing
and what I am buying goes sky high. I have boxes of cases stored in the
garage somewhere. I guess I had better try to find them for eBay. I sold a
24mm f/2.8 OM with the original case in mint condition at the local shop for
so little more than the macro case that it is ridiculous. It took months to
sell at that.

Doug