Re: [OM] Buying & Selling from/to individuals

Subject: Re: [OM] Buying & Selling from/to individuals
From: "John Austin" <j_austin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 11:35:22 -0700
BW wrote:
>Hi All.
>I have never bought or sold on the Internet.  But, there are some
interesting
>items offered from individuals.  I guess I am a little bit too cautious.  I
>have no problem with those who take credit cards, but a check is a concern.
>QUESTION ?  What is the best method to handle a transaction with
individuals?
>Inspection period?  Post date a check?  etc.???
>BW

I've bought quite a few items from individuals on the internet. Ranging from
a couple of dollars to several hundred dollars. A certain amount of trust is
involved on both sides. In some cases, if the item is inexpensive, the
seller has shipped the item to me and I have sent back a check. This is the
safest way for the buyer, but the seller is trusting you to be honest. When
the item is more expensive, I usually send a check or postal money order.
This requires trust on my part. When I'm sending money first to an unknown
person, I send a postal money order and insist the item is shipped via the
postal service. Then if I'm ripped off, it becomes mail fraud, and you have
the postal inspectors on your side. I've also used COD, but that involves
extra expense on your part, and there's still no assurance of what's in the
box that you can't open till after you pay for it. There are also brokering
or escrow services, but I've never used them because that is more expense
and slows down the process. Perhaps if the amount was in the high hundreds
or thousands. I think most people are honest. They try to describe an item
accurately and ship promptly and will usually stand behind their
merchandise. Of course, there's a few rats out there, but remember that
millions of transactions take place on the internet daily, and I hear about
very few rip offs. I guess you pays your money and you takes your chances.
I've been happy, and even if I do eventually get taken, the money I've saved
has made it worthwhile.

Regards,
John Austin