Re: [OM] Buying & Selling from/to individuals

Subject: Re: [OM] Buying & Selling from/to individuals
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 00:24:05 +0000

If they are within your own country - try and arrange to talk to them
on the phone and use your 'intuition' to judge the person - if you
think your intuition is fairly good that is.  When I lived in Perth
(Oz) I did this when purchasing a 90mm f2 macro from a person in
Sydney.  A very happy outcome resulted.

However, I have also done international transactions on faith and
trying to read between the lines of email messages and suss out a
vendors character. I have had nothing but good experiences.

I usually ask the vendor about appearance, mechanical function,
optical function and condition of lens surfaces, MC or
otherwise, visible oil on aperture blades, cases, caps and anything
else I can think of.

I have never asked about an inspection period, partly because of
international freight charges and import duty not being refundable,
but mostly because I figure that if a vendor has been untruthful in
describing the condition - the honouring of an inspection agreement
is probably moot.

I have never used a personal cheque as vendors usually prefer more
secure forms of payment so post-dating has not been an option.

I have even had good experiences sending small amounts of cash in the
mail - with a slip of black paper in the envelope to render it
opaque.  I figured the prohibition against sending cash in the mail
is so widespread and ingrained that very few people would expect
anyone to be so silly as to actually do it ;-)

Giles