Re: [OM] Long Telephoto Vibration

Subject: Re: [OM] Long Telephoto Vibration
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 00:24:05 +0000
I am no engineer but I would have thought attaching a fourth leg to
the front of the lens would have a greater effect as that would get
you closer to an equilateral triangle configuration - which is
naturally 'stiff'.

Forget the bungie cord - can you spell 'Twangggggg..."  I think the
amount of tension you would have to exert to get any useful stiffness
might be detrimental to the lens mount, body, lens barrel or
whatever.

I would envisage a collar that is a friction fit or adjustable and
goes round the end of the lens hood with a close tolerance pivot
(ball joint ?) attaching that to a carbon fibre tube (aluminium if
you are a cheap-skate and unadventurous ;-) with a padded U or V
shaped stirrup on the other end with a piece of shock cord or
suchlike that can be wrapped around the leg to secure it in the U/V.
I would use rubber or polyurethane in the V/U as it would be quite
non-slip.

How about 3 perpendicular 2kg flywheels?  ;-)

Perhaps Chris Barker can get you a surplus IRST gimbal/stabiliser
unit out of a Tornado/Harrier or whatever ;-)

Giles

> From:          ONLYOLY BW <ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx>
snip