[OM] Spelling of its and it's

Subject: [OM] Spelling of its and it's
From: Chris Barker <cmib@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 May 98 06:30:07 -0000
I wonder if I might interject for one moment and point out as tactfully
as I can (given the difficulty of indicating tact in plain ASCII text)
that the possessive pronoun is spelt its, whereas the shortened version
of 'it is' is spelt it's.  The apostrophe always indicates a missing
letter or letters.

If you are still reading this: the possessive version of ordinary nouns
comes from an Old English construction such as 'Keith his camera' which
was then shortened to Keith's camera - this is how to remember that the
apostrophe always indicates missing letter(s).

I thought it worth mentioning because we have a fair number of members
whose first language is not English in this most excellent of communities
who are being given the wrong spelling by some of us English speakers.

Yes, you spotted it - my other mailing list is alt.lang.eng.pedants ;-)

OM content: if the 400/6.3 was originally a PenF lens, it must have
looked very strange connected to that little camera.

Chris