Re: [OM] Medium Format

Subject: Re: [OM] Medium Format
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 13:52:54 -0400
Hi Ken.
I think you are being just a little unfair in the comparison of Medium
Format to 35mm.

I currently own and use a Mamiya 7, an RB67, a Mamiya C330, and a
Rolleiflex. I have also owned an RZ67. Why so many? Because each has its
strengths and weaknesses. The 7 is useless for closeups, and even difficult
for portraits. OTOH, it is, as you say, a huge Leica, and suitable for
street work. The RB/RZ is not really hand holdable, but is superb in the
studio for portraits and product shots. The TLRs are portable, inexpensive,
and great for portraits, 'cuz you can see if the subject blinks.

The smaller the format, the greater the convenience factor. Of _course_ MF
cannot touch 35mm for convenience. That's not the point. The point of MF is
to give up some convenience in exchange for superb, glorious image quality.
Personally, I won't shoot b&w with anything smaller than 2-1/4 x 2-1/4.

There are other more convenient MF cameras. The Pentax 67 is like 35mm; the
new Pentax 645n autofocus seems like a hell of a camera, and of course Fuji
has a couple autofocus rangfinder cameras.

Your complaint is akin to a Hassleblad user who goes into a camera store to
look at 4x5, and can't believe at what he'll have to give up. Waddaya mean,
I always need a tripod!

Regards,

Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com