Re: [OM] What's wrong with an OM-10?

Subject: Re: [OM] What's wrong with an OM-10?
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 18:01:11 -0500
At 07:50 PM 5/18/1998 +0200, you wrote:

>Joel Wilcox wrote:
>
>> At 09:03 AM 5/16/1998 +0200, you wrote:
>>
>> IMHO as long as you have an Oly lens to mount, you should aspire to own at
>> least one OM-1, whatever else you may own in addition.
>>

>I must say I am getting quite interested to buy an OM-1. (Everyone seem to
have
>so many good things to say about that camera.) Tell me more, or give me an
>address so I can read and learn more about the OM-1.I know OM-1's for approx.
>$200-250 (US$). Is that a good price, or may the cameras be in a bad
condition
>for that price?
>
>--
>Regards/
>  Ingemar Uvhagen

Hi Ingemar,

The OM-1 is of course an entirely mechanical camera, which puts it in a
league by itself among OMs. (Is someone going to correct me and ask What
about the OM-2000? Please, don't go there!). It has mirror lockup, which I
find useful and which can only be approximated in my OM-2S (and my N*k*ns)
by using the timer. The varimagnifier only works with the OM-1 (I don't
know anything about that piece of equipment however!).

There's an interesting comparison of features at

        http://www.teamti.com/Ziv/OM/OM-Index.htm

See also John Hermanson's pages at

        http://www.zuiko.com

And the FAQ:

        http://www.astro.wellesley.edu/lhawkins/photo/olympus.faq

As for the cost of a good OM-1 body:  My local store has a couple
mint-looking bodies for $179US. I would guess this is the "going rate" for
a used camera store and I would expect everything to work perfectly for
that price. John Hermanson's got some OMs for sale. Check his site above.
His are completely overhauled before being sold.  I would think you could
find no surer buy if his prices suit you (and if he ships to Sweden).

The OM-1 is the flag ship of the OM line. I think it is probably the most
distinctive 35mm camera ever released, certainly unique in the context of
the times.  And it continues to be a delight to use.  A classic of simple
elegance.

Joel