Re: [OM] Long Telephoto Vibration (Conclusion)

Subject: Re: [OM] Long Telephoto Vibration (Conclusion)
From: ONLYOLY BW <ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 01:53:09 EDT
Hi All,
Thanks to all who gave me some good ideas.  I have completed, more reading and
testing and here are my findings for those interested.
For those who missed my post.  I was trying to obtain the sturdiest tripod set
up for my 500mm f4.5 lens.  I have noticed a few shots that I thought should
be sharper.
This is what I found.
Many Pros will lock up the mirror on Nikons when using long telephoto lens
when shooting at 1/4 to 1/60 sec.  The theory seems to be that mirror
vibration last about 1/15 sec. therefore, 1/15 sec vibration is a large 0f
the exposure time at medium slow shutter speeds, so you get a soft image.
This is not as big of a problem at slower (below 1/2 sec) or faster speeds.
In my test, I set up the rig and tapped the prism lightly while looking
through the viewfinder and you can see the vibration on the focusing screen
circle.  The best "sturdiest" setup was Doris's idea of 2 tripods. There was
no movement at all.  Weight added to the lens helped some but not enough.  I
was in Na Na land with the bungi cord idea.
I bought a used "Kirk - Fourth Leg" today and I must say I am very impressed.
It is just as good as the second tripod setup.  Camera movement is free (when
set loose) and it just takes a second to lock down.  This is one "must have"
accessory if you are into long teles.
I am making a trip to Alaska next week and will spend the weekend of May 30th
in Danali Park.  Hope to see Mr. Griz.
BW