[OM] Archival storage (again), [was: Kid's [was: Professionals...]]

Subject: [OM] Archival storage (again), [was: Kid's [was: Professionals...]]
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 09:51:34 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 21 May 1998 09:41, "Ken Norton" <image66@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>I guess future generations may not have this problem, as photography
>>becomes fully digital...

>Yup, and I hope that some storage technology is developed that will last >50
>years.

I don't think the storage technology that can last 50 years is the problem.
The problem is the constant improvements made to the storage technology.
How many of us still have 5-inch floppies that we can no longer read?  And
I won't even mention the 8-inch floppies, cartridge disks, cartridge tape,
mag tape, paper tape, and punched cards that we can no longer read.  The
problem is that it becomes prohibitively expensieve to maintain the HW and
drivers that interfaces to these old storage medium.  I have a 2314 disk
pack sitting in my garage that I have no place to mount it -- I know the
files are still there, but nevertheless I cannot retrieve it.

Meanwhile, I still have (BW) pictures of my great grandparents, and color
pictures of my family from the '60s.  It will be a sad day when
photography goes fully digital (in spite of the fact that I work for
Intel and my company is pushing the digital imaging technology (I may even
be working on that technology :-)) so take all this as personal and I am
not speaking for Intel).  How many years will it be before Photo-CDs are
no longer readable (not because the medium has degraded, but for lack of
the proper HW/SW interface).
        -Dan