[OM] Zuiko 300mm 4.5 + 2X

Subject: [OM] Zuiko 300mm 4.5 + 2X
From: Andre Goforth <goforth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 20:31:41 -0700
Well Olympians,

I got my trannies back after an outing with my 300mm and a 2x.

The jury is still out on this combo IMHO.  The problem is that the camera I
used did not have either a 2-x or a beattie screen when I used this
combination. As a consequence, there is some question whether the focus is
off a wee bit because of the difficulty in viewing or it is that this
combination is a little soft. Second,  the DOF appears to be real thin
because the jump from 300 to 600 is subjectively really big.  Wow, this is
voyeurism! Third, I got a lot of bird shots with one leg blurbed. The
species I was shooting has a weird way of moving. One leg at a time and
everthing else motionless.  My wife who has a biology background noted this
phenomena.  The color seems a little bit off in comparision to shots with
the 300 only. But I can't tell if this is on account of the "extreme"
telephoto range of the 600 in comparision with the 300 or if it is on
account of degradation from the use of the 2X.

All in all the shots with 300 + 2x were passable. I think there is a bit
more "technique" required at this focal length than at 200 and 300. Though
I was on a tripod I wonder if some vibration may have entered into the
equation.

Andre

San Carlos, CA