Re: [OM] Kid's [was: Professionals using Olympus]

Subject: Re: [OM] Kid's [was: Professionals using Olympus]
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 08:48:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 21 May 1998, Denton Taylor wrote:

> This current generation may be the first whose family photos will last less
> time than those of previous generations. All those color prints will be
> unrecognizeable in fifty years, if not sooner.

  The new Fuji Crystal paper (according to Mr. Wilhelm), using RA-4
processing is judged as having an archival lifespan of 80 years (!!!).
There's always Ciba and B&W for the images that should last.
  Manufacturers have underestimated the value of photographs to the
general public. I read that after the last California quake, people were
given something like 20 mins to go back into their structurally
compromised homes and salvage what they could. They were told to make
lists beforehand, so as to use the time to best advantage. Academicians
studied these lists, and the #1 item (by far) was the humble family album.
Before money, titles to car and home...I am happy to see Fuji is
listening.

 You are wise to shoot some
> b&w. I make sure I take family photos at least annually in b&w, print them
> on fiber-based paper, and place them in an archival album.

  Most wise.
                              *= Doris Fang =*