[OM] Price in relation to quality.

Subject: [OM] Price in relation to quality.
From: Ingemar Uvhagen <ingemar.uvhagen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 09:29:34 +0200
Friends,

I have been searching very intensively, for a while now, for a Zuiko
300/4.5.
Yesterday I found a few very interesting lenses. BUT I am not sure of
the quality as the prices seem to be to good to be true.

The first two (I am only talking about the 300/4.5 in this message)
would cost US$ 379 and are said to be "Ex". "Ex" was mentioned as quote:
"80-890f the original condition. Shows average wear. May have small
dings or pecks but no ugly places. Glass average."

The third one was even cheaper as it would cost US$ 299, and the
condition where said to be "Bgn", which was quote: "70-790f original
condition. Shows more than average wear. May have dents, dings, and
brassing, but very usable. Glass also may have more than average wear
with some marks that should not affect picture quality."

For lenses and their condition, I have been told that even small marks
on the front glass will not make any effect on the result, it is more
important that the rear glass are good and without marks. Right or
wrong?

I also found a fourth lens without closer description and the price for
this was US$ 280.

Now, I got a bit "suspicious" about all these lenses, well at least the
two latter ones. To me these lenses may be in a quite questioned
condition for the prices they have. I have not yet been in contact with
the one who are selling these, I will though.

I am not really afraid to buy second hand, in fact all my lenses are
second hand, but I don't want to buy a lens because it is cheap and then
end up with the double cost for fixing it. In such a case it might be
better to buy a "more expensive" one. And I am not really afraid of
having a lens with small marks on the black paint, the only thing that
matters is that the pictures are not effected by any meaning. But of
course it is always nice to have a good looking lens...

My question is how prices generally are in relation to the quality of
lenses. Or it is perhaps impossible to generalize? Are one of these
lenses worth trying for or are they "too cheap"? I guess I am too
cautious sometimes...?

Any comments or suggestions?

--
Regards/