Re: [OM] Which Camera?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which Camera?
From: PCA Cala <PCACala@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 00:47:41 EDT
Hi Jace:

> I did see an
>  Olympus OM PC w/lens (don't know the size of the extra lens though) for
>  U.S.$149.99.  Is that a bad price or a bad camera?

While it would help to know what lens, it was likely a 50 mm f/1.8  It would
also help to know the condition of both!

OM-PC prices are all over the place.  Shutterbug has no mint examples to give
price comparisons.  Exc to Exc++ prices are $99 to $184, or $195 with the
f/1.8  I saw a Mint- one at a camera show for $125, which seemed reasonable to
me.

Value of the 50 mm f/1.8 is also all over the place, with Shutterbug prices
ranging from $9 to $79.  The prices over $49 are way out of wack, but do
reflect inflation on 1987 Exc. to Mint used prices, which were $39 to $42 ($53
to $57 in 1986 dollars).

Both items have lost value over the last 10 years due to inflation and being
amateur (hence high production) items.

Note that there are many other price sources than Shutterbug.  I only report
that here because I have the data compiled and it serves as a reliable
benchmark for comparison.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV