Re: [OM] Internet Message

Subject: Re: [OM] Internet Message
From: PCA Cala <PCACala@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 01:25:12 EDT
Hi Tom:

> I very much enjoyed
>  Margaret Bourke-Whites Portrait of Myself.

I only read Vicki Goldberg's "Margaret Bourke-White A Biography."  She was
quite a self-assured women, so it would be interesting to see how she assessed
herself.  Goldberg says of her autobiography: ". . . she told her life as she
wanted it known, and enough people wanted to know it that way to make the book
a best seller."   The made for TV and video movie on her with Farrah Faucett
was pretty crummy, concentrating on her glamorous public persona.  But like
some movie stars, the persona remains attractive even after death.

Her later years with Parkinson's were tragic, indeed.  There are lots of
parallels to Edward Weston, although Bourke-White was far more a commercial
success and Weston the posthumously successful artist.

I saw her work in Detroit and the graphic, compositional impact was stunning
and inspirational.  Study it and one can see the deeper impact a photo can
invoke if it contains a "hit you between the eyes" composition.  Her publicity
photos had her perched precariously in all manner of places to supposedly get
those compositions.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV