[OM] Your Basic FStop

Subject: [OM] Your Basic FStop
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 21:01:10 -0700
I have a question for you knowledgeable people on this list. Olympus
probably takes the prize for assigning odd FStop numbers to the widest
aperture on their lenses. I am never quite sure, since FStops are not
linear or arithmetic, how much more light I am letting in wide open than
the nearest true FStop. What is the relationship between F1.2 and F1.4,
F1.8 and F2, F3/5 or F3.6 and F4, F4.5 and F5.6, F5 and F5.6, F6.3 and F8,
F6.5 and F8? Did I leave any out? Are these odd F-numbers 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 of
a stop wider or are they essentially the same?

Winsor

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California
mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx